James and Stephs Paris to Barcelona Bike Ride





This blog is the Journal of James and Stephanie's Bike Ride taking place between the 17th and 30th July 2010, an unsupported ride taking in 800 miles of road between Paris and Barcelona, with the addition of the stage 14 tour de france ascents of port de pailheres and/or Ax 3 Domaine... both category 1 climbs!

We are supporting the Starlight Foundation a very worthy charity that grants wishes for terminally ill children

We Raised £10,000 for the starlight foundation
I have been asked a few times if I still have any of the routes / planning docs etc. by people looking to do a similar route - yes I do and happy to share, get in touch at james.cole@indigo-leaf.com


Wednesday 21 July 2010

Day 4 - Aubusson

Rain, Hills, near crashes, achilles tendon sprained, split toe, more rain.

Came down the direct route of the D990 which cut the distance to only 45 miles, because of the rain, so we were in Aubusson by lunch, but not without incident and pain, we climbed to over 2000 ft, we hadn't planned for hills, assuming France was pretty much flat until Dordogne!

Whilst I was flying down one of the hills, a camper van failed to see me as he cut across to make a left turn, I had no chance to take evasive action, due to speed (35mph), and rain, and was therefore destined to hit him full on. he spotted me at the last moment and I managed to squeeze through the small gap left on my side of the road. A very sobering moment.

Aubusson is lovely, however the dramatic thunder storm has kept us from exploring fully. This however has given steph the chance to dry some of the clothes and the shoes with a hair dryer, whilst I rest up and nurse my sprained achilles and split toe. I have strapped up my ankle with insulation tape.. Looking Good!.. Picture to follow

Thanks for the comments guys.. Big hugs and kisses to imy and riggers.... We haven't found a tour de france lion yet.. But the pressies are building up. Well done imy at prize giving.
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

1 comment:

  1. Bloody camper vans eh! They should be banned from the roads. Glad you managed to miss it. Hope the damged achilles isn't going to hampper you too much.

    ReplyDelete